Friday, January 23, 2009

Old Mother Preppers Cupboards are Bare!

I haven't been to the store in over a week. The cupboards are bare, I tell you!

Well, not really. I am out of milk, butter and eggs. But not to fear! I have a stocked pantry. So when I was lying in bed this morning wondering what I would feed my offspring, whole wheat pancakes came to mind.

I have been trying other recipes lately, but I always come back to this one. It was the first really successful whole wheat recipe I had tried on my own.

These are simply the best pancakes. I really like the taste of whole wheat. It's a good thing. Freshly ground wheat is the only kind of flour we have in our house. Oh yes, every once in a while a bag of Gold Medal will find it's way into our house. But that is for the occasional yummy goodness like pound cake and sugar cookies to decorate.

But for me and my house, it's whole wheat all the time.

Ok, here's the original pancake recipe.

Featherweight Whole Wheat Pancakes
Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Ingredients needed:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, well beaten
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 3/4 cups regular milk NOT buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Sift flour, baking soda, sugar and salt together. Combine eggs, vinegar, milk and oil and mix well.
Add dry ingredients to the liquid and stir only until smooth. Pour batter from the tip of a large spoon onto large frying pan or griddle. When underside is browned and before bubbles burst on top, turn and brown the second side. Serves six.

*********************

Since I was out of milk, I substituted 1 cup of soy milk that I have in my food storage (I will replace it next time I go shopping) plus another 3/4 cup of water. Soy milk has too strong of a taste to me, so I almost always water it down. I used powdered eggs and applesauce for the oil.

Even with the substitutions, these were wonderful.

And just to be transparent, I do NOT sift the ingredients, etc. I dump it all in the blender and hit high. I let it whirl around for 45 seconds or so and cook those babies up. I don't have time for dry/wet/sifting.

I trust you'll enjoy these as much as we have.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say hi. Your pancake recipe sounds great.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete