Saturday, January 31, 2009

Why?

Why prepare?

I used to ask my husband this question quite often early in our marriage. (He waited until after we were married to spring full fledged preparedness on me.)

He never had any one answer. I now understand it is more of a mindset than just an answer to a question.

A few of our reasons for storing food and having a preparedness mindset~
  • Economic reasons - we all have experienced in the past year or so the rising cost of everyday items...gas, rice, wheat, everything! If you have a stocked pantry, these rising costs don't effect you as much as it would your neighbor that runs to the grocery store 4-5 times per week.
  • Times of unrest - We in the USA have an unprecedented record of peace in our country. As much as I hate to believe it, this peace will come to an end. When? Who knows. But many indicators point to a just few years down the road. So why not make certain your family has food to eat and a way to protect themselves?
  • Loss of income - My husband's income has been quite inconsistent for the past 5-6 years. I cannot tell you what a comfort it is not to have to worry about food. Rent? Yes, but food is not a worry.
  • Forgetfulness/Laziness - If I happen to forget something on our weekly shopping trips and can't make a meal I had planned...no worries! I can either improvise like I did with the pancakes, or I can make something completely different because I have choices.
These are just a few of the many reasons to prepare your family for unforeseen circumstances.

I'll share more as I think of them.

What are your reasons for preparing? What do you tell people when they ask?

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment